Sunday, March 11, 2012

Antigua

Guatemala is a place very close to my heart.  I've spent 3 summers there and Larry and I have talked about visiting for the past few years.  I found out that I could use my education allowance for language school and after that the details fell into place.  One of the summers I was there I lived at Shadow of His Wings Orphanage to help out and teach English.   The home is incredible and it worked out that we were going to be able to join a team towards the end of our trip.  More on that later.  :)

We flew into Antigua on Sunday February 12 and were there for two weeks.  We studied Spanish at CSA (the same language school I went to 10 years ago).  They offer 1 on 1 Spanish instruction in the most beautiful school ever.





This is by far the best way to study a language!  We had so much fun speaking Spanish, drinking outlandish amounts of coffee, and exploring Antigua.  Most of the restaurants have gardens; which create the perfect studying environment.

Refuge:

 Cafe Fernando:

Cafe Sabe Rico:

Bagel Barn:
 Click on the pic below and check out the Bohemian Breakfast :)

Even McDonald's is beautiful in Antigua:


We visited a few of my favorite spots from past trips.  Antigua has changed so little and it brought back such fun memories of times here with Hava, Julie, and Natasha :)




We stayed with a local family (which I highly recommend, it is fantastic practice).  Carlos, Jeanette, and their son Luis were incredibly kind and welcoming.  They have hosted students since 1994 :).   I love Guatemalan style houses.  They typically have an open concept with a garden in the middle.  

"Chato" which basically means smooshed face 
 Open air dining room- we ate all meals with the family


That little hut in the middle is our bathroom...above it is an orange tree.  The first morning I was in the shower when an orange fell from the tree onto the tin roof right above my head.  I nearly had a heart attack...







Carlos is a lawyer, Luis a teacher, and Jeanette stays at home and tends to the house.  We had so much fun talking with them about culture, food, and coffee (which they grow, dry, and roast in house :)


The weekend between our two weeks of school we traveled the 3 hours on a very slow bus to Lake Atitlan.  We had gotten a recommendation on a beautiful hotel and it was incredible.  Larry rolls his eyes when I say it, but it is officially my favorite place on the planet.  Hotel Isla Verde is a little eco tourism hotel nestled in the hills of Santa Cruz (a little town only accessible by boat).  They grow their own fruits and veggies, have their own chickens, waste almost nothing, and offer a beautiful, tranquil escape from all things stressful :)   Not to mention their food is probably the best we have ever had.  Who wants to join me on the absolutely necessary yearly visit? 

A little teaser... :)
Hasta Luego :)




3 comments:

Adrienne P said...

Thanks for posting these photos; they bring back many memories of Antigua and studying there at the same school (!) that you went to, but back in 1997. Thanks to your post, I get to give Ken a glimpse of what the town looks like, but I don't remember McDonald's looking so good! It's hard not to compare language learning experiences when you have one to one teachers. Language study in France seems to be going slower (but I have an older brain) but generally is a good experience. It's not an immersion experience but I have my own personal tutor (Ken). Next year try to go at the time of Holy Week; the alfombras were amazing!

SLR said...

Adrienne, how crazy that you went to the same school! The world seems so small sometimes. We have been praying for you and Ken as you transition to life in France. I hope that the language learning comes faster than you expect! We are so excited that Mark and Lisa are there to visit. We can't wait to hear all about their trip and how things are going. Keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

Love the pics!!! Thanks for the update. I was waiting eagerly to hear about it :)