Monday, December 19, 2011

Travel News!


Hi Friends and Family,


I hope you are all doing extremely well and enjoying this last week before we all celebrate Christmas. I wanted to post with some exciting news and a request for prayer. As many of you know Central/South America were extremely influential in my spiritual walk and the formation of my world view. Guatemala in particular holds an incredibly special place in my heart. It was the first place where I taught English; which ended up paving the way to Moody. My trip there with the Briarwood medical team after high school ignited my passion for medicine which lead me to nursing school and now Stanford. I left for my last trip there 2 months after meeting Larry. He was an incredible source of strength and encouragement during that trip. He experienced so much of my time there via emails and letters, but I have always wanted us to go back there together so that he could see it first hand...Do you see where this is going?...

Tonight we bought our tickets! :) Our first two weeks will be devoted to language school in Antigua. We are going back to the same language school I attended nearly 10 years ago. After language school we are incredibly excited to be able to join a team from Vermont on a missions trip to Shadow of His Wings (the orphanage I worked in for 3 months in 2005). I will be getting more details on what we will be doing there on Wednesday once I talk to one of the team members on the phone. One exciting thing is that we will be there for the annual quinceañera (15th birthday) celebration. The 15th birthday is a huge deal in Latin American culture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinceañera). We were actually invited last year when two of the girls we sponsor turned 15, but were unable to go since I was frantically looking for a job so we are thrilled to be able to make it this year. We are really looking forward to being able to connect with them in person.

Would you please join us in praying for this trip? We would love prayer for this planning phase, for safe travel, and for the ability to encourage and serve the staff, families, and children at Shadow of His Wings. We are not raising financial support for ourselves this trip, but if you are interested in donating to the Orphanage we are more than happy to help you do that. We would love to be able to cover a portion of the cost of the birthday party specifically. Please let me know if that is something you would be interested in.

Thank you so much for your love and support!
Merry Merry Christmas,

Sarah and Larry

ps- Find the December newsletter and more information about SOHW here: http://www.shadowofhiswingsorphanage.org/NewsDetail.asp?id=11

No comments: