Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas in Madrid

Larry and I love to travel, love wine, and love the Spanish language so about 4 months ago we bought tickets to Spain. Larry spent months researching, price comparing, looking into flights, hotels, restaurants, trains, and cities. We left on our grand adventure at about 4am on December 24th. We arrived in Madrid at 10:45am Christmas morning and spent a bit of time changing money and figuring out how to get to make our way to the hotel. After 3 different subway lines we found our stop and the beautiful street where the Hotel Regina is located. We spent the remainder of the day exploring the center of the city. We had decided that the best way to fight the jet-lag was to not rest, but push through so that we would be nice and exhausted when it was actually night time...that didn't work.



We forgot to take a picture of the outside of the hotel so here is one from trip advisor :)






Plaza Mayor






Palacio Real-the official residence of the King of Spain






Can you tell how tired we were?






I love Spanish architecture! There are balconies on most of the buildings and the doors are beautiful.





It was Christmas day so while I spent time calling home Larry found a great napping spot....



By that evening we were too tired to look for food so we ate something small in the restaurant at the Hotel before going down the street to Puerta del Sol to look at the Christmas lights. I don't know how many people live in Madrid, but I think every single one of them comes out and walks around at about 8:00 every evening and they stay out until about 11:00. Even the little kids stay up really late. It was insanity every night, but so fun!
We were apparently too tired to take good pictures :)



We had a very Merry Christmas in Madrid. Feliz Navidad!

No comments: