Monday, September 21, 2009

Trader Joes



I have Mondays off which could mean I sleep in and spend my day watching the Food Network, but it doesn't (mainly because Comcast stripped my life of that joy). Monday is actually the day that I get those things done that either have the potential of taking all day or of leaving me in need of a very long nap. Trader Joe's was on the agenda for today. Now to someone that owns a car this would not be a big deal, but I don't which means I take the bus. I left around 10 (because it was supposed to be in the 90's today...I don't think it even reached 65) and walked the 4 blocks to the 24 bus. It came, I rode it about 3 miles, and then walked about 5 blocks to TJs. Since we don't have a car I always shop with a basket (as opposed to a cart) so that I know I will be able to carry it back home. I took one basket thinking I wasn't buying much, but quickly needed a second. I put the basket down towards the front of the store and went to grab another one. I worked for a second to equally distribute the heaviness between baskets and then went to continue shopping. A man about my dad's age stopped me shortly after to inform me that I definitely should be using a cart. I explained to him why I wasn't and he looked at me with such pity that I almost laughed. He then told me that he and his wife were heading out into the avenues if I was going out there. I was shocked. Never, here or in Chicago, had a strange man ever offered to help me with anything. I thanked him profusely, but declined saying I lived in Noe Valley which resulted in yet another pitying look and him saying, "wow, well I hope you get a car or at least a scooter". Haha. I finished shopping and struggled back down the hill towards the bus. Perhaps next time I should cut down the number of items on my list.



No comments: